Saturday 16 January 2016

Classical Monologue- Taming Of The Shrew

I read the play 'The Taming Of The Shrew' by William Shakespeare and looked at Petruchio's monologue in Act 2 scene 1.
The Taming of the Shrew is a comedy by William Shakespeare, believed to have been written between 1590 and 1592.
The play begins with a framing device, often referred to as the induction, in which a mischievous nobleman tricks a drunken tinker named Christopher Slyinto believing he is actually a nobleman himself. The nobleman then has the play performed for Sly's diversion.
The main plot depicts the courtship of Petruchio and Katherina, the headstrong, obdurate shrew. Initially, Katherina is an unwilling participant in the relationship, but Petruchio tempers her with various psychological torments—the "taming"—until she becomes a compliant and obedient bride. The subplotfeatures a competition between the suitors of Katherina's more desirable sister, Bianca. The play's apparent misogynistic elements have become the subject of considerable controversy, particularly among modern scholars, audiences and readers.
Taming has been adapted numerous times for stage, screen, opera, ballet, and musical theatre; perhaps the most famous adaptations being Cole Porter's Kiss Me, Kate and the 1967 film of the play, starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. The 1999 high school comedy film 10 Things I Hate About You is also loosely based on the play.
I'd be looking to play Petruchio. A wealthy gentleman from Verona. Loud, boisterous, eccentric, and quick-witted, Petruchio comes to Padua to increase his fortune by marrying rich. All he wants is a bride with an enormous dowry, and Katherine fits the bill. Though everyone else warns him against trying to marry Katherine, he sets out to tame her by pitting his own violent temper against hers. 
I liked this monologue to start with as I found it humorous and Petruchio is cheeky and quick witted which reminds me of myself. 
Within this monologue he is telling Katherina's father how he will woo her. Within the monologue he is saying that every negative point she makes he'll twist it into a positive point. 
I wasn't very keen on delivering this monologue in my audition because I felt that as if it was just repeating its self for example Benvolio would say something that Katherina would do or say negatively, then the line after he would just say how he would turn it into something positive, and this is repeated throughout the monologue which I wasn't very certain on, as it came across to me as plain dull. 
Another reason which I wasn't persuaded to chose this one is because Petruchio's character comes across to me as an older man in his 20's and I'm 17 years old and believe the mid 20's are out of my playing age. I felt that if I was to play Petruchio I may interpret him to be younger and slightly more childish thane already is. For these reasons I decided not to do this monologue.

No comments:

Post a Comment