Saturday 16 January 2016

Contemporary Monologue - The Boy On the Swing

In one of our sessions searching for a contemporary monologue, Olga recommended for me to have a read of a play called 'The Boy On The Swing' by Joe Harbot.  Published on March 13th 2012. 
Synopsis- 
The Boy on the Swing portrays an individual in the throes of a corporation with intimidating authority and an almost inexplicable leverage to trap and injure. Upon finding a mysterious business card labelled 'Talk to God' in the street, protagonist Earl Hunt comes into contact with the Hope and Trust Foundation which offers the chance to meet God - for a price. After submitting credit card details during a bafflingly threatening phone interview, Earl proceeds to a visit to the Hope and Trust office full of unfathomable power games which alternate between geniality and intimidating menace. The promised meeting with 'God' arrives when, in a dingy room, Earl finally comes into contact with an old man of 85. From here on Earl and 'God' have a humorous conversation which has an unusual turn out of them two sharing cake. 

*INSERT PICTURE OF MONOLOGUE SCRIPT*

I decided to look atEarls Monologue, where he speaks about his memory of going to a park with his mum where he'd always go on this swing and how one day it was there. 
I wasn't certain about doing this monologue for various reasons. I felt slightly awkward when I was reading it because I wasn't really that keen on the whole idea of telling a memory of being younger and talking about a swing as I didn't find it interesting or emotional. 
Overall though I enjoyed the play and found it comical and I found it amusing with the fast replies from Earl and Jim in the reception. I felt as if this wasn't my style of play as I felt I needed to play a character which is not as sad and depressed, as I felt these were the characteristics of Earl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment