Monday 18 January 2016

Contemporary Monologue - Review 3

1. Analyse the suitability of chosen audition material for audition context. Give an account that shows how you chose your audition material. In this case your "Osama The Hero" speech. You should relate your choices to your own vocal and physical abilities. Give details of the speeches that you dismissed and reasons why you dismissed them.

I like the character of Francis after reading the script. I liked the darkness of his monologue about how his dad made him kill a dog he found. I get the impression that Francis comes across as a scary person, especially when delivering his monologue, from what I've seen from different videos on youtube. I strangely enjoyed the ending of the monologue where Dennis wrote about how Francis' dad made him kill the dog; i felt as if I'd play this part well because I like telling stories and nothing can gross me out and I like making others feel gross inside. 'Blood hit the fucking ceiling. Took me forty five minutes to cut the head off, another hour to cut the legs off... through the bone.' This was the most intense part and I feel as if when I performed this part, Ella and Olga felt like horrified by it and felt sorry for the dog, which was what I was aiming for. 

2. Write a synopsis of the play which your speech comes from

The play is about a naïve young boy who believes everyone is tolerant and mature enough to understand that people have different opinions. However when he shares his views at school by doing a presentation on Osama bin Laden, saying that he is a hero in his opinion. He then realises that not everyone shares the same outlook as him. Conseqeuently Gary then gets bombarded with violence from young 'thugs' for being different and becomes victim to numerous arson attacks which he is blamed for.

3. How did you prepare for your audition? What did you do to interpret the speech and respond to the style of the audition text?

To help me prepare for this audition I tried the task of hot seating my character and people would ask me questions about my dog and how he died. I'd respond in my character and use excerpts from my monologue to answer them. This helped me because I was replying as if I was in conversation and thats how I need to deliver my monologue, so it would help me sound more natural when delivering it. Which it needs to sound for the audience/panel to believe me. I also read through the script again to get a better understanding of mine and the other characters relationships as I always believe this is beneficial because if you understand your relationship better with that character, you will talk to them and treat them differently. 

4. How do you feel that you have demonstrated effective and confident vocal and physical technique in an audition situation? Give examples, in reference to your text if possible?

I feel as if I demonstrated effective and physical technique in my monologue because I got into my characters shoes and got into their emotional state. I decided to sit on chair the opposite way, so that I could have my arms on the back rest. I chose to sit down because its a rather long monologue and I felt awkward standing up and telling this story. I felt as if my character would have been siting down in a comfortable position. I also feel as if I I demonstrated effective and confident vocals well by delivering my speech slowly. It came across more effective as I felt the slower I delivered it, the more it felt like that I was speaking about a memory, as I'm thinking about it. For example where it says 'Dog in the bath, shaking. Takes my hand, puts it on the dogs jugular, says - feel that pulse? - puts the knife in my other hand.' I slowed this down. I done this because at the end of each sentence the listener is engaged and is eager to know what happens next, so by slowing it down I was creating that suspense and building it up, which is what I aimed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment