Monday 18 January 2016

Contrasting Monologue - Review 2

1. Analyse the suitability of chosen audition material for audition context. Give an account that shows how you chose your audition material. In this case your "Unbearable Hotness" speech. You should relate your choices to your own vocal and physical abilities. Give details of the speeches that you dismissed and reasons why you dismissed them.

Andrew is a young man who throws a house party and is focused on one girl. Ive been at many house parties and have been in this situation a lot of the time so straight away I felt as if I could relate myself to this character. I read through the script once and really enjoyed it. The script was filled with humour and romance. I get the impression that Andrew comes across as a hormonal desperate man so throws a house party to get the chance to get with the girl of his dreams. I found that the opening sentence of this monologue was is interesting and grasps the audience's/panels attention. 'i just fuckin' killed Chuck' I'd say its a mystery for the audience or panel at this stage as they're not sure wether this monologue is comedy or a horror of some sort, until you carry on reading and the humorous parts reveal such as 'Chuck then starts in on how he's just this total fuck up and maybe he should just throw himself off the roof. And for a split second I'm thinking "YES! Throw yourself off the roof! Do it!" I like this part and the audience do because Andrew comes across as innocent and harmless. 

2. Write a synopsis of the play of which your speech comes from 

Andrew has thrown a house party in hopes that the girl of his dreams, Marisa, will attend. Once he learns she is somewhere in his home, he becomes set on winning her heart. Matters are complicated when Chuck arrives bent on the same goal, followed by Jill who reveals her ex boyfriend is pursuing Marisa. Beatrice (aka "Benny"), a tom-boy, watches on amused as her peers become more and more frenzied over the unbearably hot object of their affections. When Marisa finally enters, passions run high and Chuck is almost killed! In the end, an unexpected twist unites Marisa with her true love.

3. How did you prepare for your audition? What did you do to interpret the speech and respond to the style of the audition text?

To prepare for this audition with this monologue I read through the play of 'Unbearable Hotness' to further my knowledge of the plot and Andrew and his relationship with everyone.  This benefits me as it allows me to know how to respond and act with the other people in it. I also done an exercise where I used a friend and was pretending to have a conversation with them, half way through the conversation I would then start my monologue and my friend would keep have the script in front of them so they would ask me questions which I could answer to with my next line. This exercise was beneficial as it changed the way I delivered my lines as it felt more natural rather than me just saying it. 
Another exercise I tried was by not speaking my monologue but using gestures and my body to tell it. This is important because as an actor your body is your instrument and you have to use it to its full potential. So overall after this exercise I used some of these physical movements in my monologue where they suited best. 

4. How do you feel that you have demonstrated effective and confident vocal and physical technique in an audition situation? Give examples, in reference to your text if possible?

I feel that I demonstrated effective and confident vocal technique because I played each of my lines with intention and objectives. For example on the line where I say 'YES! Throw yourself of the roof! Do it!' I emphasised the whole line and raised my voice and played it in a much more angry tone. I feel as if this resembled the characters fury well and showed Ella and Olga that I was really annoyed at this guy for ruining it for me. On the line which goes 'Then theres biting, and kissing and touching' I've been told previously by Ella that she needs to see me in the moment when I was doing this. So I'd look away from where I was focused on delivering my monologue and I would be doing hand gestures and watching my hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment